Sunday, 27 October 2013

Make Peace with your plate - book review

There is a great blog out there called The Wellness Warrior by Jess Ainscough and it's all about healthy eating and lifestyle. I've been following for a few months now and just recently Jess released her first book. "Make Peace with Your Plate - Change your life one meal at a time".


I ordered it almost straight away from Bookworld and devoured every page when it arrived. I thought I'd share with you today my thoughts about it. 

Jess Ainscough use to be quite the party girl until at the age of 22 when she was diagnosed with a rare incurable cancer and was told the only way to prolong her life was to amputate her arm. That was not an option for Jess so she set about learning all she could about natural treatments. In this book she share her knowledge and contagious enthusiasm for healthy living - not just with food but with mindset too. 

I love how she describes this book in the introduction: "Achieving your ideal weight is a major part of it, but only because it's a superficial side effect of getting your insides in tiptop shape. My message is about wellness: whole body, complete, total, feel-so-good-you-feel-like-you're-leaving-a-trail-of-rainbow-sparkles-wherever-you-go wellness."

I love that, it's not about weight, yes that's part of getting healthy but it's about getting your insides right and the rest of you will shine. I know how much you need to do that, being wheat/dairy/sugar intolerant (yes I can still eat a little bit now and then and I don't let it stop me from baking) but since I've change most of my diet earlier this year I can tell you it works, you feel so great, your skin clears up, you sleep better, you don't spend most nights in the bathroom almost passing out from pain. 

Being a Wellness Warrior takes dedication and work but the benefits outweigh the negatives. The only negative really is that other want to be that healthy too so they pick on you to build themselves up, but that's nothing compared to the benefits of feeling so great and healthy.  

Jess suggests to read this book with an open mind and that not everything is for everyone (I'm not going to try the coffee enigmas) but we need to get back to a simpler concept of eating - go back to Mother Nature and stop eating so many chemical and fake foods. 

There are some delicious recipes inside - including a great chocolate milkshake and choc-goji brownies. I love the section entitled "All in your head" it's about going beyond our plates and getting into the heart of our eating habits, where so often it's our mindset and attitude that affects our health. It's filled with wonderful ideas and affirmations, getting it right in the head so you can get it right in the body.  

If you only read one book this year make it this one, it's a real life changer. 

(Note: This is not a sponsored/affiliate post I just love Jess' blog and really enjoyed the book and wanted to share it with you)

(A month of food: No. 5 Book)  
  


1 comment:

  1. This book has been on my to buy list for awhile. Must get onto it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...